Students are responsible for reviewing and understanding the academic credit policies and how they may impact their degree progress. Below is a summary of common academic policies. Make sure to familiarize yourself with the complete details of the policies under the Resources and Policies tab and helpful information on academic systems abroad. 

Major/Minor Course Requirements Per Abroad Experience |

  • Olin BSBA students are limited to three credit hours of coursework that can apply to a major or minor requirement. There is not a limit on the amount of credit hours you can take towards professional core or general elective requirements.
  • Students with second majors in Olin may take a maximum of two business courses on a single abroad program – one core business course and one major course, unless participating on an Olin Internship program.
  • Business & Computer Science joint degree students (BUCS) may take a maximum of two business courses on a single abroad program: one (1) core course and one (1) elective course towards a specific cluster.
  • Business minors may only take one course abroad that will apply to their minor. International Business minors may take up to two courses abroad toward the IB minor.
  • Students seeking major/minor credit outside of business should meet with the appropriate department to determine any requirements or restrictions.

Business Credit on Programs Outside of Olin | Students participating on Washington University-approved programs outside of Olin are subject to the academic requirements of the host department or college. Additionally, BSBA and Business Second Majors may only take two courses in business on a non-Olin program (1 per major) and only at an AACSB accredited institution or the following non-AACSB accredited approved programs: London School of Economics, King’s College London, and University College London. Minors may take one course abroad that would apply to their business minor, including IB minors. Business credit will not be transferred back on any programs that are non AACSB accredited

Credit Requirements | Studying abroad should not have a negative impact on a student’s pathway to graduation! During a semester abroad, students should earn an amount of academic credit comparable to what they would earn at Washington University, generally between 14 and 18 credits. Summer programs tend to award 3-6 credits, depending on their duration and number of courses. Most programs establish minimum and maximum numbers of courses or credits in which a student must enroll.

Grade Requirements | A grade equivalent to C or better on the program transcript is required to be awarded Washington University credit of any sort for coursework completed abroad. Students on Olin administered programs will earn the assigned grade. While students must take courses abroad for a letter grade, the student’s cumulative GPA will not be affected by grades that are transferred in from a partner institution abroad.

Distribution Credit | Olin students can complete distribution requirements while abroad. These courses should be pre-approved or evaluated by the Global Programs Coordinators. See the course evaluation page for more details.

General Elective Credit | Coursework completed abroad that is not approved for major/minor or distribution credit will be transferred as general elective credit. This coursework will help students make progress towards the total unit requirement for the degree.