When should I start planning to study abroad?
It is never too early to start thinking about study abroad.  Start your Freshman year to learn more about programs by visiting sa.wustl.edu, talking to former study abroad participants who are Global Ambassadors and attending Study Abroad Fairs and information sessions.

What are the requirements to study abroad?
BSBA students can study on an Olin program as long as they have a 3.0 GPA. Semester academic and exchange programs require the equivalent of 4 semesters of college. The internship programs require more coursework in order to be competitive for placements, so those typically take place during the junior year. Go to sa.wustl.edu to see the requirements for each program.

When do most students study abroad?
Most students study abroad the spring of their third year. Short-term programs are open to students as early as their first year and some semester programs are available junior year. Discuss studying abroad with you academic advisor and career center staff to determine the best semester to study abroad.

Who can study abroad? Transfer students? Special needs? Athletes?
Anyone can study abroad. You should work with the Olin Study Abroad Coordinator to determine a program in which you can complete the most requirements. Special needs students should disclose these needs at the time of your study abroad appointment to help the coordinator identify programs that are the best fit. Some programs have better training and athletic facilities for student athletes that need to keep up with their training in the off season.

Do I need to be in the Business School to participate in an Olin program?
No, however, if you are a student in the College of Arts and Sciences, at least 6 of your credits must be business credits on Olin programs. Also, business minor students may only take 1 course abroad (IB minors may take two).

Do I need to know or have taken a foreign language?
All of the Olin programs, but one (Madrid), do not require foreign language to apply as the content courses are taught in English. Some programs will require you to do at least one foreign language course abroad, even if the business classes are in English. You should not avoid study abroad if you are not interested in foreign language as there are plenty of English language options.

Can I study abroad multiple times?
Yes. Students may participate in more than one student abroad program; however, no more than a total of 33 units will be awarded through study abroad. Keep in mind, you can only take one course per major abroad so you need to choose programs where you can get the most requirements out of the way.

Can I study abroad directly through programs not offered by Olin?
If you are a second major or in some instances, a minor in the College of Arts and Sciences, you can apply directly through their programs. Otherwise, you will need to apply for a Petition for an Approved Program.

May an academic reference letter be submitted by e-mail?
No. You should submit the request for a reference letter through your online application and the reference should reply electronically. 

When should I expect to hear about the decision on my application?
For February deadlines you should know within a month, for May deadlines you will find out in June.

How much will it cost to study abroad?
Students pay normal WU tuition for the semester. Housing costs differ depending on the program.  You will also have to factor in airfare, local transportation, meals (most programs do not have meal plans so you have to cook for yourself or eat at restaurants), and personal expenses. Cost estimates for each program can be found on the individual program brochure pages.

Can I apply for any scholarships?
Yes. Talk to your Study Abroad Coordinator about scholarship opportunities.

Will I have health insurance when I go abroad?
Yes, all Olin students are automatically enrolled in GeoBlue (https://www.geobluestudents.com) insurance (through Summer 2016)/GeoBlue effective July 1, 2017, which has direct billing and the option to set up providers before you go abroad. The cost is approximately $40 per month.

What does Olin provide to prepare me for my abroad experience?
Students who participate in spring semester programs are enrolled in INTL 300A the semester before they go. This is a 1 credit class that discusses such topics as culture shock, country-specific information, and study abroad logistics. Fall and Summer students participate in Study Abroad 101. Study Abroad Coordinators are available to help you from inquiry to your return. 

Are there any on-site orientations for the programs?
Yes, every Olin program has an on-site orientation arranged by the partner school or organization. These are usually mandatory.

Will I need a visa?
For most countries and programs that last longer than 90 days, US citizens will need a visa or equivalent. Please refer to the Consulate for the country in which you will be studying to determine visa requirements.

How can I learn more about my host country?
A good place to start is the Country Reports provided by the U.S. State Department at http://www.state.gov/j/drl/irf/rpt/ or the World Factbook published by the CIA: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/resources/the-world-factbook/. You can also get guidebooks such as the Culture Shock! Series. We also provide a list of Olin Global Ambassadors, who are current students that have studied abroad on Olin programs. They can tell you about the country and program from a student experience.

I have dietary restrictions; will this negatively affect my experience abroad?
Not necessarily. You should choose the program that gives you the most control over your food choices as some are more flexible than others. This is a good topic to bring up with a study abroad advisor as they can help identify programs that make the most sense for you.

What type of housing can I expect to live in while I am abroad?
Housing differs across programs. Typical choices include student residences or dormitories, student apartments, or homestays.

Can I choose different housing than the option listed on the website? 
If housing is guaranteed through your program, students must stay in guaranteed housing. Otherwise, students may make independent housing arrangements; however, there are many additional issues to consider when selecting your own house. A few items include whether or not the housing is furnished; interaction with other students/immersion opportunities; location; cost, etc. 

Will I have time to travel while I am abroad?
The academic schedule also differs across programs, but most of the programs have some sort of fall or spring break, in addition to national holidays. Students usually find time to travel around classes, during breaks, or on weekends.

How can I connect with students who have already studied abroad?
We provide a list of Olin Global Ambassadors, who are current students that have studied abroad on Olin programs. They can tell you about the country and program from a student experience.

What classes can I take abroad?
There are options for all majors on Study Abroad. Students should review the various program types and then should speak with their academic advisor to identify which program may best fit their academic needs and goals.

Do I have to take business classes while I am abroad?
Yes. Most of our agreements require that you take at least 1-2 business courses abroad. However, you can only take one course per major. For example, a finance and marketing double major could take one finance course, one marketing course, and then fill in with remaining core requirements, distribution requirements, 300 level advanced electives and/or free electives. Non-BSBA students must take at least 2 business courses on Olin programs (1 core and 1 major). Review the Academic Policy for more details.

When can I start registering for classes?
Some of the programs will have you register while you are still on the WU campus, and for some of them registration will not occur until you are on the program site. You should meet with the study abroad advisor and your academic advisor before you leave so you are aware of your requirements and have as many courses pre-approved as possible. Liberal Arts students on Olin programs must complete the Study Plan prior to studying abroad. You will be required to complete the BSBA Courses Abroad questionnaire while you are abroad in order to confirm the classes you are taking and how they will transfer back.

How many classes do I have to take?
You must maintain full-time status at Wash. U. This is between 14-16 credits at a minimum depending on the program. Some of the classes transfer back in different credit units so you should be concerned with overall credit amounts, and not the number of classes as the combination may be different than what you are used to at Olin.

How will my credits earned abroad transfer back to WashU?
On most programs, you must receive the equivalent of a C or better in order for the credit to transfer. However, the grade will not be counted in your WU GPA. The exception is the Olin Internship programs that we maintain and any course taught overseas by WU faculty. For those classes, the grade will transfer and count in your WU GPA as well.

Can I take a study abroad class pass/fail?
No. Since we need to know if you earned the equivalent of a C, we must have a grade on the transcript in order to transfer the credit.

Will I return from my study abroad experience in time to pursue a summer experience in the United States?
The majority of the Olin programs end in May so you should have no problem studying abroad and doing a summer internship. There are a few programs in the Southern hemisphere, notably Melbourne and Brazil, and sometimes Israel based on the calendar, that last into June. Students interested in those locations should strongly consider going abroad in the fall to accommodate the reversal of seasons. Check sa.wustl.edu for program ends dates.

Can I study abroad in my last semester and graduate?
Yes; however, this is discouraged. Often, we will not receive your transcript from your host institution until several months after your term abroad, delaying your graduation term. Additionally, should a course you require no longer be offered abroad, you may further delay graduation. Students who study abroad during that last semester risk extending their graduation term.

Do you have any questions about Global Programs that we can answer? If so, please contact an Olin Global Program advisor Sara Stratton, Ryan Kearney, Michele Picone