Olin Global Programs are open to business majors and students with second majors in business. A select few short-term programs, such as ISBA, are open to students in all academic areas (see program-specific brochure pages for details on eligibility). 

Eligibility | Students should be academically prepared to make the most of their classes and experiences abroad. This may include overall academic achievement at Washington University, preparation in the major field, proficiency in a foreign language, as well as courses relevant to the geographic area or subjects to be studied abroad.

Selection is based on maturity, seriousness of purpose, and appropriateness of match between program and applicant. You must not only meet the minimum eligibility criteria, but also show the type of intellectual curiosity, personal maturity, academic rationale and social flexibility necessary for a successful study abroad experience. Students on disciplinary probation during program period are not eligible. Students may not be on a Leave of Absence immediately preceding the semester or summer abroad. Admission to study abroad may be denied or rescinded due to behavioral or academic concerns.   Your WU judicial and academic records will be subject to review. All student must be enrolled as full-time students at the time of application, the semester prior to departure, and while abroad. 

GPA Requirement | In order to be confident that our students can be academically successful while abroad, they need to have demonstrated a solid academic record in their on-campus coursework. Students are expected to have at minimum a 3.0 cumulative GPA at the time their application is reviewed. It is important to note that some programs may have higher GPA requirements overall or within the major.

Program-Specific Eligibility Requirements | In addition to the requirements listed above, some programs may have additional requirements, either instituted by Washington University or the program, which students must meet in order to be eligible to participate. These could include a solid foundation in natural sciences for a tropical biology program, coursework in Political Science or International and Area Studies for an International Relations program, or at least one course focusing on the African continent for a program in Africa.

Refer to Program Database for specific program eligibility requirements.

Language Requirements | Most Olin programs offer courses that are taught in English, and do not have foreign language pre-requisites. However, it is important to look at the individual program brochure pages to familiarize yourself with the language requirements of the program you are interested in as some may have very specific prerequisites courses that a student must complete to be eligible. Whether the prerequisite coursework is designed to provide students with fundamental skills and a basis for more advanced learning or advanced proficiency that will allow them to take coursework taught in the target language, students must complete all prerequisite coursework prior to the start of the program. It is often permissible to take the final required course in the semester immediately prior to study abroad.
Orientation requirements | There is a required orientation course for all students studying abroad through one of Olin’s Global Programs. These requirements are made up of two different courses: INTL 300A and 300B. INTL 300A is an orientation course that students will be required to take the semester before traveling abroad. This course will help prepare students for their international experience.INTL 300B is a required course for students while abroad, designed to maximize their experience and cultural exposure as well as how to apply their international experience towards career goals. INTL 300B is taken during the semester abroad online and is not available for students goig abroad in the summer. towards career goals. INTL 300A may be subsituted with a non-credit pre-departure orientation for students going abroad in the summer or fall. 

International students taking courses in their home country during a summer term |  If you are planning to take summer coursework at a recognized institution of higher education in your country of citizenship or country of parents’ residence you should work directly with your academic advisor to apply for transfer credit and to process your transcript. Summer programs in the country of your citizenship or country of parents’ residence is not considered “Study Abroad” and you will apply and work directly with the host university. Prior to departure, students should register their travel through WashU’s Travel Registry system.