Returning to the United States after living abroad can be just as difficult and challenging as your first weeks or months abroad!  Coming home is a transition that takes time and effort to do successfully.  While you probably haven’t even left your host country yet, it’s important to start preparing now for your return home. 

Register for Next Semester

Washington University students abroad should register via WebSTAC and their priority registration date will be assigned as if they were on campus. 

Course Listings | Washington University course listings are available online six to nine weeks before registration begins. Students abroad can access course information directly through WebSTAC. Note: JavaScript must support your web browser in order to read the course listings on WebSTAC.

Registration Procedures | Students must contact their Four Year Advisor and Major advisor(s) by email, or other means, to obtain authorization to register on-line. Students should contact advisors at least two weeks prior to their assigned registration date and time. Failure to contact advisors in a timely fashion will delay registration. If you neglected to complete the BSBA Courses Abroad questionnaire, your academic advisor may be limited to the advising they may be able to offer.

Post-Program Orientation | INTL 300B, Applying International Experiences, is a 0.5 credit hour course required of all students who participated in an Olin semester abroad program that will include a research symposium to showcase work from abroad, and which will focus on reentry issues, post-program assessment, how to articulate transferable skills, and other post-departure information that will allow returnees to translate their abroad experiences into the working world.You will need to remember to register for this course for the fall semester following your return.Arrange Housing for Return | Washington University students who are returning from abroad must complete the Room & Board application using their WebSTAC account. Students who successfully submit their application will receive an email confirmation.

Residential Life Housing & Application

In order to receive a housing assignment you must follow Residential Life’s Housing Selection Process appropriate for your situation. If you have any questions about this process, please contact Residential Life.

LIVED in Residential Life housing before going abroad | You will retain the same priority as those students in your class who remained in Residential Life assigned housing.

DID NOT live in Residential Life housing before going abroad | You are not eligible to participate in the room selection process. Contracts will be accepted on a space available basis after the regular selection process has closed. Fraternity members will be permitted to participate in the Housing Selection process as long as your house is fully occupied as determined by the Greek Life Office.

Deadlines |Please submit either the Preliminary Housing Reservation form or the online Returning Student Housing Application to the Office of Residential Life by:

Term AbroadHousing Request TermDeadline
FallSpring   Submit to WebSTAC by Nov. 15 
Spring or Academic YearFallThe Housing Selection Process begins soon after students return from Winter Break so it is imperative that you check the website often with particular attention being given to the dates and deadlines.   

Advance Payment | A ~$450.00 advance payment is automatically applied to your Student Account, and will show up as a credit against your semester housing charges.  Students eligible to have this fee waived due to some form of financial aid will notice additional language on their specific Room & board Application. If you have a Stafford or Perkins Loan, or another need-based Washington University scholarship, including PEP, the advance payment will be automatically deducted from your financial aid award.*Any Student requiring a special housing accommodation should submit their Special Housing Accommodation Request starting on January 1 for a Fall assignment and by November 15 for a Spring assignment. For more information, please refer contact Residential Life via email or (314) 935-5626.